Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Storage Chest

When I was a young girl, my grandparents gave me a storage chest (which I believe was hand built by my aunt's father) as a gift. It's special to me because it wasn't the typical store bought gift, so it is one piece of furniture that I have moved with me every step of the way. It has gone from my childhood home to college to apartment after apartment and finally to our new house. It works perfectly at the foot of the bed for some extra storage. The only problem was that the honey oak doesn't match our style, so it was due for a make-over.


Once again, I forgot to take before pictures. I dug through tons of digital pictures thinking I had to have a picture somewhere, but I couldn't find any with the whole chest pictured. O well, the below will have to do, you still get the idea:

(click on the picture to make it larger)


The chest still sits at the foot of our bed, and the new upholstered top matches our headboard perfectly! To complete the project I followed these steps:
- removed back rest & top
- sand, prime & paint the body of the chest
- got a new top cut at Home Depot so the lid would be the same size as the chest (previous top was hinged a few inches in from the back)
- upholstered the top, following the same steps as I did for our headboard
- attached hinges to the lid
- lined the lid with a fun fabric by simply folding the edges of the fabric under and stapling to the correct size
- attached the hinges/lid to the body of the chest


We love the new look! More pictures to come of the chest in the master bedroom as soon as we complete the room!

No comments:

Post a Comment