Here they are in their before state, along with the materials I used to make them over.
I wanted to add a pattern to the middle of the tray, but I wasn't completely sure what pattern I wanted to add so I needed to come up with a solution that wasn't going to be permanent. So, I cut out two cardboard pieces to fit inside the trays and covered them with left over fabric from our bedskirt. It was incredibly simple: measure cardboard, cut to size, measure & cut fabric about an inch larger than cardboard, hot glue edges of fabric to back of cardboard & place inside the tray!
I also spray painted the trays black, to add some contrast to our night stands.
Turns out, I love the stripes, so I probably won't be changing them anytime soon. But, in the event that I do want to change them, it will be super simple!