Saturday, March 27, 2010

Coffee Table turns Ottoman

I got the DIY urge again!  For days on end, I looked at Craigslist hunting for that perfect coffee table - it had to have simple clean lines for legs, be made of real wood, measure in at 16 inches or shorter and be cheap!  It only took four days to find one that met my criteria, and to make it even better the seller lived just a hop skip and a jump away from my work!  I brought the table home on Tuesday and it was just a matter of days before it had a whole new look.  Here's how I did it:

Step 1: Take a before picture

Step 2: Sand, prime and paint the table legs - I painted them black to match our living room decor.


Step 3: Measure out where the buttons will be when tufting the ottoman and drill holes.  (Sorry no picture of this step)
Step 4: Using spray adhesive, adhere foam to the table top and sides


Step 5: Have your buddy test out your materials just to make sure they are comfortable


Step 6: Cover the entire tabletop in quilt batting. Use a staple gun to staple the batting on the inside/bottom of the table top


Step 7: Cover the table in the material, I used a tan vinyl.  To give the corners by the legs a finished look, I used a braided rope attached with upholstering tacks. 

Step 8: Attach the buttons (I used a DIY button making kit so the buttons matched the ottoman) using an upholstering needle and thread to give the ottoman a tufted look. In order for the buttons to stay tight, I used buttons on the under side of the table to hold the thread.



And here is the finished product:


 

This was certainly a learning experience.  The corners proved to be quite the challenge, but Dan assured me that they look good :)  If I ever tackle a project like this again I'd like to come up with a better solution for the corners.  Until then, I'll be proud of this finished product!

2 comments:

  1. I have a question... can someone sit in an ottoman made of a coffeetable?? I want to make a big ottoman for our bedroom but only if we can sit in it.. u know? what do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, you can certainly sit on it! I turned a wooden chest in to an ottoman too and have it at the foot of our bed, we sit on it all the time!

    ReplyDelete