Thursday, July 8, 2010

Closet turned Office

I got the twitch......the twitch that wouldn't stop until I did some decorating and organizing!  The tricky part was that I didn't want to spend a single dime.  So in to the den I went to do some rearranging and decorating with things we already owned.  In my excitement to get started, I forgot to take before pictures, so below are "mid start" pictures. 

This is the closet after I had started sorting things out in to piles of keep, donate and trash.
This is the far wall in our den. Our den is tiny and acts as an office and hosts a queen bed for our guests. Since the bed is on the opposite wall and the closet is to the right, this wall was left packed full of furniture. Where the computer screen is, is where the desk was before I moved it. As you can see, all of the unexciting office supplies sat out in the open.



After hours of organizing and rearranging, this wall is still packed with furniture  ** sigh **  But, it's less cluttered and more inviting for any guests we may have.  Here is the after:

The decorations look a tad bit silly all lined up on one wall, but I think it turned out alright considering I had to work with what I had and I couldn't donate any of the furniture. 

Now for the exciting part (atleast I think so) of the room make-over.....the closet turned office! 

The closet has a built in half wall, that I covered with fun contact paper.  I still need to go back and cover the end of it.  When I originally put the contact paper on, the closet doors were still attached and it was too hard to get in such a small area to cover.  The half wall now bears the printer, paper and other office supplies.  The floating black shelf from back in my college days, worked perfect to hold additional supplies.  A few tacks in the wall worked perfectly to hold up my monthly budget sheets. 

The other half of the closet had a 2nd wood shelf and hanging rod, but with the removal of a few simple screws - I put that shelf into storage.   My desk now fits perfectly in the other half of the closet.


As you can see, there are no longer closet doors.  I wanted to add just a touch more interest to the room so I replaced the doors with some curtains that I had on hand.  I love that the make-over ended up making the room more organized and functional.  Without a seperate room that we can use as an office, it's great that I can simply close the curtains and our guests (we love guests - come visit!) don't have to see all of the office clutter!

So there you have it - the mini den makeover that didn't cost a dime!

No comments:

Post a Comment